While thumbing through the latest Taste of Home magazine the other day to find something different to prepare for dinner, I ran across this recipe for Tuscan Artichoke & Spinach Strudel. Having fallen in love with anything Tuscan while in Italy last year and liking artichoke a lot, I decided to try this. I was also intrigued by this savory take on a strudel that ordinarily I think of as something sweet.
- 1-1/4 cups chopped baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 teaspoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional (I omitted this).
- 1 cup coarsely chopped thawed frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
|Saute mushrooms & sun-dried tomatoes.|
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and tomatoes in 2 teaspoons oil from sun-dried tomatoes until mushrooms are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the spinach, pesto, pepper and, if desired, pepper flakes. Add the artichokes, mozzarella cheese, 5 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and mushroom mixture; mix well.
- Unroll crescent dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet into one long rectangle; seal seams and perforations. Roll out into a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle.
- Spread filling in a 3-in.-wide strip down center of rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips to within 1/2 in. of filling. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Whisk egg and remaining oil; brush over dough. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese; bake 10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 12 slices. Yield: 12 servings.
|Spread filling down center of pastry.|
|Sprinkled with chopped walnuts ready to bake.|
|Baked and ready to eat.|
|Ready to eat.|